Monday, November 21, 2011

Grandma's French Bread

Grandma's French Bread



Growing up family dinners at my grandparents was the best thing you could come by. When my husband joined the family he always complemented my grandma on how family meals were always right on time. In his family, dinners are kind of show up and eat when you want. My grandma has spent her entire life preparing meals for others. You hardly ever see her indulge herself in a meal she prepares. The thing I enjoy the most about my grandma's meals are the homemade breads. The following is a recipe for a bread that is always served with lasagna in my  family. Hope you enjoy.




Dissolve 2 packages of active dry yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl.

Stir in one tablespoon sugar.

Then stir in 2 cups of warm water 120 degrees (Microwave it about 1 minute 20 secs to reach this temperature), 3 tablespoons shortening or oil, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon salt

Add 3 cups of flour and beat well

Add 3 more cups of flour and knead

Let rest for 10 minutes and knead (do this 4 times)

Make into 4 loaves (I typically do 3) and put on a sprayed cookie cheese

Butter and sprinkle with cornmeal ( I used butter with garlic)

Cut top and brush with butter and cornmeal again

Let rise until doubled

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (Longer if you like it dry)

Brush with butter after taking out of the oven.





No comments:

Post a Comment